Thursday, November 20, 2014

Charles Reid and flowers

"Forget the water in watercolors" says Charles. And rightfully so. He says the color has to be pure as close as possible to the color in the tube. Water on the brush should be sufficient to pick up the paint and not to dilute the color to the extent of a shapeless wash. Hmmm ....

I got a get-well bouquet of flowers from work and I decided to sketch it knowing full well that I cannot paint anything involving greenery. I used continuous pencil line to sketch the main shapes of the plants and tried to maintain the value as I saw them and to use as little water as possible. This last part was not as hard considering that the sketch is small.

Overall, this is better than the first attempt to paint these flowers. Still a long way to go to be able to say I can paint greenery ...